Mulching with Wood Chipper Shredders
High Quality Mulch Production Tips with Superb Lawn Care Equipment
The coin-sized wood chips and shredded leaves which all Patriot chipper shredders and lawn vacuum blowersproduce don’t just make yard clean-up and waste disposal a lot easier; they’re ideal for mulching.
Mulch has to be one of nature’s most perfect garden products. In fact, it’s been called the “gardener’s greatest ally.” Mulch is 100% organic and it’s the nearest thing you’ll find to the natural humus layer in a deep forest. When spread around your garden plants, shrubs, and trees, mulch can:
- Cool the soil in warm weather.
- Warm the soil in cool weather.
- Limit evaporation, helping the soil retain moisture.
- Act as a weed barrier.
- Reduce erosion, especially when spread between garden rows.
- Add nutrients to the soil as it decomposes.
- Deter insects, in some cases (depending on the material used).
- Provide a protective border around your plants, so you’re less likely to damage them with your lawnmower and other garden tools.
As with just about anything, there’s a right way and a wrong way to use mulch. First of all, you should only use mulch made from plants that you know for sure aren’t diseased so you don’t accidentally spread the disease to other plants.
Second, don’t spread the mulch too thick. A layer more than four inches deep may block water from reaching your plants, provide a place for fungi to take hold, and interfere with the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide.